Save the Date- Saturday, December 5
A Morning with the Legal Genealogist, Judy G. Russell, JD, CG, CGL (Conferences)
Virtual meeting, rescheduled from March 2020.
Judy Russell will be giving two virtual lectures. If you registered via Eventbrite for the March 2020 event at the DuPont Country Club, your registration is still valid. If you did not register for the March event but would like to register for this virtual event, additional tickets are available for $10. Register now at http://bit.ly/DGS-NoVitalsNoProblem
No Vitals? No Problem! - Building a Family through Circumstantial Evidence
When there's no birth, marriage or death record, what's a genealogist to do? Learn how to use circumstantial evidence to build a family. This lecture will feature "Bringing Josias Home," tracing a man who died in Texas in 1870 back to his North Carolina parents.
Advertising the Law: The Gems in the Legal Notices
So many statutes required notice that someone wanted something done, and the legal notices in newspapers can be priceless sources of genealogical clues.
The Legal Genealogist Judy G. Russell
is a genealogist with a law degree who writes and lectures on topics ranging from using court records in family history to understanding DNA testing. On the faculty of numerous genealogy institutes, she is a member of the Board of Trustees of the Board for Certification of Genealogists®
, from which she holds credentials as a Certified Genealogist®
and Certified Genealogical Lecturer℠. Her award-winning blog is at http://www.legalgenealogist.com.
Delaware Genealogical Research Guide
The new Delaware Genealogical Research Guide is an essential resource for Delaware research.
Comprehensive, well organized, and easy to use, it provides detailed descriptions of how and where to find information about Delaware ancestors. It includes descriptions of and guidance to more than 100 local, regional, and national repositories and resources for Delaware records. Learn more about it in the recorded walk-through, "A Peek Between the Covers of the Delaware Genealogical Research Guide." (Link to video coming soon). The book is available at Amazon.com.
Get Your Family History Questions Answered!
The latest upgrade to our website allows members to have their genealogical questions answered faster than ever before!
“Ask DGS” is a new forum on the Members section of the website where you can unleash the power of crowdsourcing. Now you can quickly and easily:
- Get help with your Delaware ancestors from other members who have researched the same families.
- Learn about that obscure Delaware source that might hold the answer to your elusive brick wall.
- Connect with a person who frequents an archive or repository where your record is located and who will look for your record on their next visit.
- Make friends and correspond with other members with similar interests in specific families or groups, such as Quakers, African-Americans, Dupont employees, Swedes, or shipyard workers. The possibilities are endless!
This is a work in progress. The DGS will be monitoring the forum and making updates as needed. Send any feedback to email@example.com
Here is the procedure to access the new Ask DGS Forum:
- Access www.delgensoc.org.
- Click on Member in the blue column to the left. The Member Sign-in Window will appear.
- Sign in with your member login and password. Click Login. The Members section will open.
- Click Research in the blue column to the left. The Research page will open.
- Click Query Forums in the Contents section of the page.
Welcome to the Delaware Genealogical Society, a place for all genealogists to meet and share their knowledge and experiences. The Society endeavors to be the primary source of information about Delaware families, as well as a trusted provider of genealogical education and assistance for all of our members.
This mission is accomplished through our monthly seminar program, a Society newsletter, the DGS Delaware Families blog and this website which contains general Delaware guidance for all and Delaware specific content in a Members Only section. This web site is for you, the membership, and we look forward to your input to ensure it meets your needs.