Welcome to the Delaware Genealogical Society (DGS), a place for all genealogists to meet and share their knowledge and experiences.
We endeavor to be the primary source of information about Delaware families, as well as a trusted provider of genealogical education and assistance. We offer seminars regularly, a periodic newsletter, and this website, which contains general Delaware guidance for all and Delaware-specific content for members only.
Feel free to explore our website
Civil War Bluejackets:
Race, Class and Ethnicity in the United States Navy, 1861-1865
Summary from Kenneth J. Finlayson.
Across the Creek: Black Powderr
Explosions on the Brandywine,
by Richard D. Templeton.
Summary & Name Index
A History of Original Settlements on the
Delaware… & A History of Wilmington,
by Benjamin Ferris.
Summary and Name Index.
African American Civil War Veterans:
Compiled by Kenneth J. Finlayson.
Delaware Genealogical Research Guide.
Available at Amazon.com.
Delaware Families 1787-1800.
Available at Amazon.com.
In the Reference Center, you’ll find Delaware-specific indexes, records, and guidance to help further your research, including:
- Civil War Bluejackets Project that’s developing new resources on African American and immigrant sailors. DGS and Delaware African American Historical and Genealogical Society are partners in this project, which is being led by historians from two UK universities.
- African American Civil War Veterans
- Delaware Resources that are available to everyone, including a list of websites and repositories, and a cemetery list.
- DGS Member Library with access to the transcribed Chandler Funeral Home Ledger, the DGS Journal Archive, and all issues of the DGS newsletter.
- Delaware Genealogical Research Guide, a comprehensive road map to Delaware research.
During the 2022-23 year, all of our programs are free Zoom webinars. A range of topics will be covered, and each will include Delaware-specific stories and resources. Speakers range from local favorites to well-known national-level presenters. We hope to see you! Click here for the Calendar of Events to see what’s coming next.
For low annual membership dues, members receive the First State Genealogist newsletter (see a sample here), and have access to the entire online edition of the Delaware Genealogical Resource Guide. Also included is the DGS Member Library with Member Meeting Materials, DGS Journal Archive, DGS Newsletter Archive, and Chandler Funeral Home records. Learn more at Join/Renew.